CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Hidden Technology

What other information technologies have “disappeared” into the way you live and work?

It took me some time to think about this. I guess I take for granted the fact that I can pick up the phone and talk to anyone almost anywhere in the world. My students recently learned all about inventions and it’s amazing how quickly our technological world develops. I also take for granted being able to fly. 100 years ago the Wright Brothers were almost on the verge of giving up and and I think it was Orville who said, “Man will never fly in 1000 years”. Little did he know that within the same century space travel would be possible.

What tools do your students or your children take for granted? What is gained and what is lost through the use of these tools?

My kids take TV for granted. I remember being one of the first families to have a colour set in our neighbourhood. TV gives us so much through news, education and entertainment. But I’m also one of those parents that limit the amount that my kids are allowed to watch. I purposely don’t have cable TV. I think that it is too easy to spend too much time in front of the TV. I believe that being passive for long stretches of time really does affect our creative ability.

0 comments: